SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing, and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
The entry level Field Technician, Junior is and unskilled laborer role responsible for collecting samples, observation, and/or inspection of products or raw materials for laboratory analysis by performing the following duties.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Works under immediate supervision to perform job functions.
• Collects samples as product and or raw materials that are being transferred to containers, vessels, barges, trucks, and/or rail. (dry cargo which includes pet coke, Coal, Fertilizer and Steel products all dry bulk cargo).
• Ensures sample containers and all related paperwork are labeled with identifying data, location of sample, date, and time of collection.
• Delivers sample to laboratory for analysis.
• Performs preparation of samples, reduction and division of appropriate sizes.
• Gathers samples at specified locations, states of processing and time interval.
• Performs sample screening and/or other related physical tests.
• Ensures all equipment and containers are organized and cleaned before and after use.
• Ensures all personal protective equipment (PPE) relevant for tasks is worn at all times.
• Ensures compliance with all required local and federal safety processes and procedures.
• May also have Preparation or Laboratory responsibilities, as required by business needs.
• Adheres to internal standards, policies and procedures.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• High School or equivalent
· No experience required, unless required by state law
Knowledge of or experience in barge drafting
LICENSES / CERTIFICATIONS
· A valid and current Driver’s license may be required if the role requires driving a company vehicle.
· May be required to obtain a TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Card).
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES
• Language Skills: Intermediate English required, Advanced preferred
• Mathematical Skills: Basic required, Intermediate preferred
• Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Intermediate level required, uses logical and practical approach to solve problems
• Computer Skills: MS Office (Word, Excel) – Intermediate user proficiency preferred
• Ability to effectively communicate (in writing or verbally), presenting information individually or in small group situations to internal or external customers
• Ability to follow directions ensuring the end results are accurate and completed with the required timeframe
• Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to work independently and under moderate supervision
• Team player attitude, customer care focus
• Local day travel may be required; may be required to travel overnight occasionally.
• This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, printers, and phones.
• This role may use sample prep equipment that may include Jaw Crusher, Bowl & Disc Pulverizing Mills, Pressure Filters, Riffle Splitters, Compressed Air, Hammer Mill Crushers, Ovens, Balances, and basic sampling tools.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines